Tips & Tools for Next-Generation Web Browsing
Published by O'Reilly, 2005
Paperback, 352 pages
Firefox – the high-powered, feature-rich, open source web browser - is winning converts at an incredible pace, with tens of millions of loyal users already, and many more downloading it each day. Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser. Imagine a world with no spyware, vastly reduced spam, seamless pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, built-in search, RSS integration, hassle-free downloading, and amazing customization possibilities! It’s not surprising that this next-generation browser is rapidly winning over Internet Explorer’s existing user base.
Firefox Hacks explains how to customize Firefox’s deployment, appearance, features, and functionality – delivering techniques, tools, and strategies for making the most out of Firefox’s outstanding flexibility. Learn how to:
• Make Firefox look different with skins, extensions, and themes
• Integrate Firefox with other tools, and safely migrate your Internet Explorer bookmarks, history, passwords, and other data
• Make yourself anonymous, turn off caching, stomp on cookies, or flush and clear absolutely everything
• Install, use, and customize extensions, widgets, toolbars and plug-ins – or create your own
• Increase security by stopping all secret network activity, fine-tuning ports and sockets, digitally signing content, dropping security blocks, and more
• Play with preferences, install fonts and character support, govern image and ad display, and otherwise tweak the standard browser window
• Power up your web pages with XML, using Mozilla SOAP, XML-RPC, and WSDL services, as well as MathML, SVG content, XPath, and XSL
Whether you’re a crusty hacker, a bored web surfer, a contemporary web designer, or a frustrated IT professional , you’ll find all the user-friendly tips, tools, and tricks you need to make a productive switch to Firefox. With Firefox Hacks, a superior and safer browsing experience is truly only pages away.